Unlocking Stourport's Past


The York Pharmacy consists of two buildings the right hand side of which was once a public house. Dating back to the 1820's it served the community as a public house until 1977. It was variously known as "The Barrel" and "The Lord Nelson". The outside appearance has probably changed little and the shop sign, resembling as it does a pub sign, helps to preserve the "pub" feel.

The 1881 census shows the proprietor to be a Mr Edward Cox, born in Stourport, a local man. The property is registered as "The Barrel", however Mr Cox's occupation is given as a "boat builder"? Clearly the pub business did not pay all the bills? Also listed as a resident in 1881 is a 15 years old domestic servant called Alice Baldwin, employed as a nurse. Part of the famous Baldwin family?

In the 1891 census Edward Cox is still the proprietor but now the pub is registered as "The Lord Nelson" and Mr Cox's occupation is given as a "Licensed victualler".

The Lord Nelson was not the only public house in York Street. The 1820 commercial directory lists a Thomas Sadler, victualler of the "Hop Pole".

In his book "Stourport Pubs", John Cook suggests this may have been sited on or behind land now occupied by the Old Inspectors House. Also listed in 1820 is Jesse Smith victualler of the "Duke of Wellington" sited at the second building down from the High Street. "Stourport pubs a search for their history" by J. Cook , abook produced for the Civic Society is currently out of print but available at the library.

This page researched by Mike & Yvonne O'Shaunessy
This page last updated 21 June 2006

back to index page