Unlocking Stourport's Past

3 Raven Street Car Park


Raven Street Car Park looking up to New Street
RAVEN STREET CAR PARK WYRE FOREST DISTRICT COUNCIL

1. Use: Tarmac, Pay and Display Car Park (Short Stay)
2. Public Convenience
3. Electricity Sub Station


Construction:

1. Pay and Display Car Park owned by WFDC
2. Pre fabricated Concrete Toilet Block(Pay before you enter)
erected circa 2000 one of the first in the Country and to replace Public Conveniences demolished in Coopers Lane
3. Electricity Sub Station

Previous Use:

This site had cottage type dwellings known as Court No 1 and Court No 2 Raven Street and the 1891 Census shows the family of Buftons started life here. The head, James Bufton being a foundryman, later to open the Ironmongers in Bridge Street. He and his wife lived here at No 1 Court with their 7 children all of whom became active citizens of Stourport.

Here also circa 1920 live the Crane Family again active business people of the town, later formed the Company Clarke and Crane, seed merchants who traded from the building at the junction of Bewdley Road and Lombard Street. (see Census role of 1901)
This page researched by Margaret Cook
This page last updated 17 January 2007

back to index page