Butchers have plied their trade at these premises since at least 1891 when the census of that year records a John Cook, Master Butcher, lived there.|
Originally the shop occupied only the front portion of the lower ground floor. The rear lower ground room and upper rooms being utilised as living accommodation. There was a cellar beneath the shop used to store the meat. A grill to provide ventilation for this cellar can still be seen let into the pavement outside the shop. There is evidence that another doorway existed at the side of the shop to give access to the shop and living quarters. The passageway at the side of the shop leads to a "court" where once some small cottages stood.
In the 1891 census Eliza Price, a widow aged 61, is recorded as living at "No. 1 Court". In 1901 Susannah Ballard, Charwoman aged 77 and her son James, aged 50, an Ag Lab. occupied the premises. From the "Court" the rear of Blunts Shoe Shop may be seen. High on the wall is an old "Fire insurance plaque". These plaques were fixed to buildings to indicate that the owner was insured against fires. The Fire Brigade of the time would only put out fires at premises showing the appropriate sign!