Unlocking Stourport's Past

8 Raven Street

8 Raven Street Photo shows the original sewer stack outside the boundary wall of 8 Raven Street. On the left is the gate post for the gate which closed off the street when it was a cul de sac.
Building Function:

Two storey Dwelling butted up to 9/10 Raven Street (Listed)(3 storey dwelling)

Construction: regular brick with narrow bonding, probably a later period than 9/10. Gabled roof, plain tiles. Front elevation, rectangular sash 16 pane windows, the downstairs window having a bow atop whilst the upper window remains square. The side elevation has had a metal framed window added at some stage, probably 1950's. A damp course has been added and internal cavity wall insulation, recognized by round drill holes.

The original wall still boundaries the garden and the bricks are of imperial sandstone. Alongside the wall facing Raven Street is a Victorian sewer stack and on the end of the wall are the original gate posts of the gate that blanked Raven Street (then a CUL DE SAC) and which gave access to the public allotments where the Civic Centre is today.

The 1901 Census has Adam Hodges(Baker and Breadmaker) his wife Florence and 3 daughters and 3 sons and a Mother residing.

The 1908 Trade Directory shows it was the residence of Harry Beach, Cycle Maker who later moved to York Street and set up a very successful Cycle Shop succeeded by his Son Harry and his Grandson Don. Harry Beach Senior actually made a cycle called the Royal Stour at No. 8 Raven Street which was actually finger painted to save brush strokes showing.

This page researched by Margaret Cook
This page last updated 24 January 2007

back to index page